At Summerbridge, we all love learning. Teachers and students alike come to Summerbridge to grow as people and to learn. As we get to know ourselves and each other, we discover that while we may feel awkward and unsure of ourselves sometimes, we are not alone. We are all a little bit weird and silly and strange and awesome. And when we come together at Summerbridge, we do not just learn science and math and literature and writing, we also learn about who we want to become and how to feel comfortable in our own skin. At Summerbridge we celebrate each teacher and student for exactly who they are.
We provide our students with a variety of opportunities throughout the summer:
- Host an annual Career Pathways Day. In the past, speakers have included a judge, chefs, a firefighter, therapy dogs, a carpenter, cosmetologists, dentists, writers, musicians, dancers, advertisers, engineers, scientists, and artists.
- Visit local college campuses. Each student will have the opportunity to visit two area colleges. This past summer, we took students to: Lehigh, Moravian, Kutztown, DeSales, Lehigh Carbon Community College, and Penn State Lehigh Valley.
- Provide core subject instruction in math, science, literature, and writing
- Offer at least one core team with a college prep/life skills course
- Provide instruction in student-chosen elective courses, which have included: cooking, film studies, instrumental music, music and dance, art, mythbusters, oceanography, lab science, journalism, and photography
- Host an all-day Olympics event where students compete in games in the morning and attend a family barbecue in the afternoon
- Offer a student boutique where students can select gently used clothing and food items
- Host a Spirit Week where students are encouraged to show their Summerbridge spirit by participating in days such as: Pajama Day, School Pride Day, Hat Day, and Superhero Day
- Host Celebration, our culminating summer event, where family and friends are invited to see student work from the summer, including performances
- Take students to the pool at the Moravian Academy Upper School each Friday afternoon to swim
- Provide free transportation to and from Summerbridge as well as government-funded breakfast and lunch
- Host one field trip a month during the school year program, which is free of charge to our students
- Provide community service opportunities. In the past few years, we have collected books to donate to The Southside Book Room and for our own Summerbridge Book Room.